|This week around 7500 issues came in…
WOW - terms related to the leaked Supreme Court documents about overturning Roe v. Wade are absolutely DOMINATING this week. I'm not sure we've ever seen such a concentration and depth of terms before. Interestingly too, the remaining three terms all tie to the Met Gala.
(Click on any of the terms to learn more about them and read newsletter issues they're in)
Newly Emerging Terms
- Roe ... As in the 1973 Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade which protects abortion rights in the US and, per a leaked document this week, appears the Supreme Court is planning to overturn
- overturning... As in the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade
- Alito... As in Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, who wrote the draft opinion which was leaked
- reproductive ... as in the reproductive rights of women that are at stake if Roe v. Wade is overturned
- scotus ...The Supreme Court of the United States, which appear set to do the overturning
- gilded ...The Met Gala's theme this year was "Gilded Glamour"
- carpet... Related to the red carpet at the Met Gala
- codify... Used related to "codifying Roe"-- and if you're wondering what that means? It means that congress would pass a federal law to protect abortion access
Biggest Increase in Usage from Previous Week
- Wade (~800%)... as in Roe v. Wade, see above
- abortions (~575%) & abortion (~500%)... as in the abortion rights protected by the 1975 Roe v. Wade ruling
- leak (>375%) & leaked (>300%)... yep, as in the leaked Supreme Court opinion by Alito
- pregnancy (>325%) ... related to rights/protections (or lack there of) for pregnant women
- gala (>300%) ...the Met Gala, which took place on Monday May 2
- parenthood (>250%) ... As in Planned Parenthood, which condemns the draft opinion
Most Used Terms
Note that these "Most Used" terms tend to be used very broadly, in lots of contexts... vs. the other "Emerging" and "Biggest Usage Increase" terms which are, as you can tell, quite narrow and likely more meaningful/interesting.