7/30/21 What's Trending This Week?
Normally we handpick newsletter issues by independent writers that provide new or unique perspectives... but our lead researcher/writer is out on maternity leave so we are exploring some other newsletter content that isn't quite as time-intensive (but hopefully is still as valuable and insightful!).
Luckily, this timing also coincides with a new narrowSCALE product feature that analyzes the thousands of newsletters we receive each week to produce a set of newly emerging and trending topics in newsletters! Over the next few months, we'll be sharing these trending terms as well as highlighting some specifically-themed newsletters.
Thanks for sticking with us until our normal programming resumes!
Also, if someone forwarded you this and you'd like to subscribe, you can do that here -- thanks!)
Here's what's trending this week in newsletters...enjoy!
First - a quick update: You’re now able to actually see trending newsletter topics (like the ones below) on narrowSCALE anytime you’re interested… in real time! It’s like what’s trending on Twitter or Reddit, only with newsletters!
This week over 7500 issues came in...
And here is what our analysis shows as of Thursday afternoon PST.
(Click on any of the terms to learn more about them and read newsletter issues they're in)
Newly Emerging Terms
- Kinzinger … Adam Kinzinger, Republican in the House of Representatives who was put on the committee investigating the events of January 6th.
- Freestyle … swimming, in the Olympics
- Swimmer … Olympics
- Ledecky … Katie Ledecky, Olympic swimmer
- Alphabet … the parent company of Google
- Guardians … Cleveland Indians changed their name to the Guardians
- Skateboarding … new Olympic sport
Biggest Increase in Usage from Previous Week
- 790% Biles … Simone Biles, the gymnast
- 447% Simone … Simone Biles, the gymnast
- 342% Gymnastics … Olympics
- 334% Medal … Olympics
- 227% Meter … Olympics
- 197% Cheney … Liz Cheney, Republican in the House of Representatives who was put on the committee investigating the events of January 6th.
- 194% Indians … mainly the Cleveland Indians baseball team
- 184% Masking … revisiting masking recommendations
Most Used Terms
- world >2.9k
Note that these "Most Used" terms tend to be used very broadly, in lots of contexts... vs. the other "Emerging" and "Biggest Usage Increase" terms which are, as you can tell, quite narrow and likely more meaningful/interesting.
By the time you read this, there will assuredly be some new trending topics, since they're updated in real time as newsletters come in. You can always check them on narrowSCALE'S home page if you're curious.
If you know someone who may enjoy this newsletter (or the trending topics), feel free to forward!
And if you're looking for any specific newsletters to read, you can always email us or explore narrowSCALE.
Also, if you're not subscribed to THIS newsletter yet, please subscribe here :)!